This title of my blog has been the story of my life for about 2 weeks. When I graduated from college, I knew what I wanted to do with my degree....work with adults. It was something about them that I liked and had a good rapport with. I found them so interesting to work with and I had found my niche despite challenging externships throughout grad school.
However, this summer I ran across the difficulty of finding an adult placement who would accept a new college grad to be supervised. That is how I landed the job with a school. I worried and feared in this awful economy that I wouldn't find anything, so I took it anyway. I thought that maybe it would grow on me or I would end up really loving to work with children in a school setting...and I just....didn't.
I couldn't sleep in fear that I had chosen the wrong career path (which isn't unusual) or made a really bad decision regarding this job...it honestly turned me into a different person. My relationships with my family and fiance were suffering and I wasn't sure if I could escape the problem. Everyone would tell me "oh it gets better..." and I believed it to a certain extent. But I believe in the philosophy of John Hagee..."Life is too short to waste it staying trapped in the problem. Time waits for no man and it certainly is not waiting for you."
So I thought...ok, I have two choices...get up everyday and hate going to my job that I just took for the heck of it....or risk everything and take another opportunity (which presented itself a week before school actually started) that I could potentially end up really liking. I absolutely HATE making major life decisions, especially those that are major life changes as well.
After many sleepless nights, distracted days, skype conversations with Jason, deliberations with my family, and phone calls to other people in the profession....as well as deep in prayer and my nose in Life's Challenges: Your Opportunities by John Hagee....I decided that God wouldn't have opened up this opportunity for me if I weren't supposed to take it. I believe firmly that God would've kept me in my job and nothing else would have presented itself if that is where I was supposed to be. But it didn't. I was offered and a way out of the problem and I took it....
I think the worst part about this situation is that I had to tell someone no and someone yes. I absolutely hate telling others no and I am a people pleaser all the time. I'm not sure why this problem presented itself, but I think God wanted me to know it was ok to tell others no and to do what is better for myself at the time. It also taught me to be bolder and that I can't let others dictate my happiness.
With that being said....go for it....if you feel it in your gut, but are scared to do it....its probably the right thing. No one makes it to the top without a dream, a risk, some difficult circumstances and a lot of passion and determination. Speech isn't my life and I don't believe jobs should be everyone's life...but I feel like I will eventually reach that place in my worklife where I feel more confident and have a job that I thoroughly enjoy going to everyday. I feel like this current problem was just a stepping stone to getting there....
Now if I could only dance for a living....man, now THAT would actually make my life a lot easier ;)
Keep praying this week as I finish out my school job and hopefully start with the nursing facility next Monday!
Love,
H.
Monday, September 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love you Heather!! It will be amazing!! Don't stress...we should meet up soon!
ReplyDeleteand ps.. I wish I could dance for a living too!! ohh what a life that would be!!